For many of you who suffer from mouth ulcers, also known as canker sores, you know how uncomfortable and painful they can be. There are a few underlying reasons as to why they are affecting you. Genetics, diet, injury to your mouth from dental work, brushing teeth hard, braces, sharp teeth, hormonal changes, autoimmune deficiencies, and stress could be the cause.
Many of you experience the occasional mild mouth ulcer which comes and goes away quickly and does not return. There is usually no need to treat them. They are small round or oval and heal within one to two weeks. These are usually caused by damage to the inside of your mouth such as biting your tongue, hard teeth brushing or a sharp tooth.
For those of you who are prone to getting them and they just appear, these ulcers are often caused by stress, hormonal changes, food triggers, certain autoimmune deficient diseases, and genetics. These mouth ulcers can be larger in size and deeper than the mild ones, have irregular edges and can last up to six weeks. You may experience moderate to severe symptoms that interrupt your daily life.
Treatment of Mouth Ulcers
If mouth ulcers are affecting the quality of your life there are steps you can take to help decrease the pain and healing time.
- Rinse with baking soda and saltwater
- Apply milk of magnesia or a baking soda paste
- Apply ice
- Apply a damp tea bag
- Take nutritional supplements: vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12, folic acid and zinc
- Take over the counter topical anesthetic products such as Anbesol or Orajel
- Take corticosteroid medications. These medications contain anti-inflammatory agents which help to shrink the ulcer and help to reduce pain. They are most effective if applied immediately after the ulcer develops. They come in both a lozenge form as well as in a cream.
- Avoid acidic fruits such as grapefruits and lemons,
- Avoid spicy foods
- Eat a well-balanced diet and take a daily multivitamin
- Reduce stress, get a good nights sleep
- If you have braces, a dentist can provide wax to cover the dental devices
- Maintain good oral hygiene, brush and dental floss softly after meals
Visit a Dentist
It is recommended to see your dentist. They will give you a visual exam and provide you with the right steps to help you treat and prevent your individual case. If you are in the tri-state area and are looking for a great dentist with a fabulous reputation contact Maiden Lane Dental. Our entire staff is friendly and courteous as we all welcome you to our comfortable dental office. Our very long list of patients both old and new come from the counties of New York, Bronx, Kings, Queens, Richmond, and way beyond. We would love to have you join our happy patient list.